Invisalign in North Vancouver
Have you ever considered getting orthodontic treatment but been put off by the idea of wearing metal braces? If so, your Invisalign Lonsdale Quay provider offers a newer orthodontic technology that may be more suitable for your needs. The Invisalign teeth straightening system uses clear aligner trays that are custom-made and designed to push the teeth into place gently. The fact that the aligner trays are clear means they are barely visible in the mouth, making Invisalign a popular choice amongst teenagers and adults.
How Does Invisalign Work?
The Invisalign orthodontic system comprises a series of plastic aligner trays that are custom-made to fit your mouth. Each set of trays is designed a little differently to gradually push your teeth into alignment. The aligners are worn for a specified period of time as instructed by your dentist and then switched for a new set.
What Problems Can Be Fixed With Invisalign?
Invisalign is often recommended when you suffer from minor orthodontic problems, including misaligned teeth, crooked teeth, crowded teeth, underbite, overbite or crossbite. These issues can be addressed with Invisalign technology, with results visible in as little as six months.
At What Age Can You Start Invisalign Treatment?
While many of us are familiar with teenagers wearing metal braces, Invisalign offers a more convenient and comfortable solution for straightening the teeth. Teenagers commonly use Invisalign, but children as young as six may undergo this treatment to correct misalignment issues and prevent more serious problems in the future. The fact that Invisalign is invisible in the mouth has also encouraged many adults to pursue this orthodontic treatment.
Steps To Get Started With Invisalign
- Your treatment will begin with a consultation with your Invisalign Lonsdale Quay provider here at Esplanade Dental. They will visually inspect the alignment of your teeth to identify the orthodontic issues that need to be corrected.
- Your dentist will then scan your teeth using the iTero intraoral scanner and show you the anticipated results of your treatment with the Invisalign outcome simulator.
- Your scans will be used to create a customized treatment plan, and your custom aligners will be fabricated in the lab.
- When you return to the dentist, you will receive your first set of aligners. Your dentist will give you instructions about when you should change each set of aligners, and you will be expected to return to the dental office after a couple of months.
- When you return, your dentist will assess and re-scan your teeth to create the next set of aligners.
How Long Does Invisalign Treatment Take?
The length of your treatment largely depends on the extent of your misalignment. In most cases, treatment takes six months to one year, but results will be visible within a few weeks.
Invisalign vs. Other Orthodontic Treatments
When choosing between Invisalign or metal braces to correct minor orthodontic problems, it is helpful to consider the differences.
How Do Metal Braces Work?
Metal braces are made from a combination of stainless steel brackets, wires and bands that are permanently fixed to your teeth for the duration of your treatment. Your dentist will periodically tighten your braces to bring your teeth into alignment.
How Do Metal Braces Feel in the Mouth?
Metal braces generally cause pain to the wearer when they are fitted and after each subsequent tightening procedure. They can also feel uncomfortable in the mouth as the metal wires rub against the cheeks.
It is essential to be careful what you eat to avoid causing damage to the metal braces. Foods that can damage your braces include chewy, sticky, and hard foods, so it is vital to reassess your diet and make the appropriate changes.
Invisalign Lonsdale Quay Teeth Straightening System
How Do Clear Aligners Feel In the Mouth?
The plastic aligners are fabricated from very soft plastic and customized to fit comfortably in the mouth. While there may be some minor discomfort in the first few days of wearing a new set of trays, this subsides very quickly.
The aligners are designed to be removed while eating, so no dietary restrictions are required. It is recommended, however, to follow proper hygiene procedures when replacing the aligners after a meal.
How Long Do I Have to Wear the Aligners Each Day?
The plastic aligners should be worn for at least 22 hours daily to achieve maximum results. You may remove your aligners when eating meals, but they should be replaced immediately afterward.
Maintaining Your Aligner Trays
Clear plastic aligners are easy to maintain by following a few simple procedures.
1. Brush your aligners with a toothbrush and toothpaste at least twice daily to keep them clean.
2. Rinse your aligner before returning it to your mouth after meals.
3. Use only lukewarm water when washing the aligner, as hot water can damage the soft plastic.
4. Give your aligners a more thorough cleaning by soaking them in a specialized cleaning solution.
If you have any other questions regarding your treatment, contact your conveniently located Invisalign Lonsdale Quay provider here at Esplanade Dental Centre. We will be able to help!